View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 12:59 AM   #27
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Epubor has, as jhowell indicates above, produced a simple gui which may well be worthwhile, at least to some. I suspect that their real problem is not acknowledging the hard work of others. The fact that they do not do so is possibly out of fear of the GPLv3. If their software is indeed based on the DeDrm tools then they have 2 significant problems. The first is that they must make their source code for their entire product freely available. The second is that that program also must be licensed under the GPLv3. It would also seem to be very problematic for Epubor to enforce its own purported copyright terms against those pirating the program or even distributing modified versions. Not of course that I would recommend trying this. I certainly can't see epubor ceasing and desisting unless they are forced to, which also seems to be unlikely. If their product is in fact based on the tools they seem to have managed to build a successful and professional business operation by effectively appropriating an open source product and claiming it as their own, laughing all the way to the bank.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote