View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #104
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
It really works just as well as a mouse interface, that is what most people don't understand since it has been misreported in various places.
I spent a bit of time with Windows 8 recently for testing some programming work and I really didn't like the way metro worked with a mouse.

Scrolling up/down to move left and right felt weird, although I expect given time I'd grow used to it. However, the major issue I had is anytime you right click you have to move the mouse down to the bottom of the screen rather than using a little localised pop-up menu. An interface that makes sense for touch but not mouse imo.

I think win8 will be fine on a tablet. I've not used it, but that's the impression I got from the desktop version. But on the desktop I didn't like metro one bit.

Splitting the screen sounds like an advantage for those of us using an ipad, would be a nice feature to have. But in reality for the desktop it's a step backwards. Not all apps need to be full screen and even with a 1/3 and 2/3 split not all apps need to use that space either. If it had defaulted to full screen but then allowed you to re-arrange the size arbitrarily on the desktop version (non-tablet version that is, not the desktop part of the desktop version) then it would have been much more useful. But they wanted the same interface on a tablet and a desktop and imo that is awkward and restricts the desktop.

Not that it matters, if you don't like metro, then atm you can almost totally avoid it beyond using it as a new start menu. In fact the few people I know who've made the swtich to win8 are doing just that. They like the quicker boot times and a few other parts and just dislike how metro works so avoid it.

It's likely inevitable we'll be stuck with it in the future, however I hope they allow the desktop metro to be more flexible than the tablet version and open it up to running apps that do not originate from the MS store.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote