View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
One thing I didn't like is the voice seemed inconsistent to me. At times it was a brilliant representation of a boy on the cusp of becoming a young adult. He knew he was learning life lessons but couldn't always place them into a bigger context. At other times the writing seemed too lucid. Although I enjoyed the poetic, insightful writing of these passages, I found myself wondering if at some point we were going to find out that the book was being narrated by an adult and there would a point-of-view shift.
Oddly, that was perhaps my favorite aspect of the book, the palimpsest of the boy's voice and the man's. Clearly it didn't bother me, nor was I waiting for a reveal; I just enjoyed the play of the language.

I wondered, though; I wouldn't have thought that a 13-year old in 1982 was as innocent as Jason (as I'm quite confident they aren't now). Since we can assume that Jason is Mitchell, it must be accurate, but it seems like a throwback to an even earlier time. Like *cough* mine.

I loved the evocation of the time of wonder/time of agony; I wasn't as enamored of the plotty bits at the end, which seemed to me pretty standard fare.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote