View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
Hello

I want to connect Kindle3 to a web server to run some web applications on Kindle3 via intranet. It seems that Kindle3 tries to connect to Whispernet when making a connection to a Wifi router. Kindle3 can connect to the Wifi router if the router is connected to the outside world. But Kindle3 doesn't connect to the router, when the LAN cable to the router is removed.

Is there a solution to connect Kindle3 to a Wifi router which is not connected to internet ? It is important for my application because I want to set up a closed wireless network in a remote site and use Kindle3 to run web applications.

Thank you.
I'm going to make a few assumptions:
- your router has wifi capability
- your router serves up all IP addresses in your intranet/LAN, whether these are wireless or wired devices
- the cable you are removing goes to your internet provider (WAN)
- it sounds like the server you want to talk to is 'visible' on the internet at large, but is physically on your intranet. I assume your router is configured to provide passthrough to it, since you say things work if your router is connected to the internet, and your Kindle uses 3G.

If Kindle connects via 3G, it gets an IP from the mobile provider (AT&T), and your router handles the connection back to the server. If you disconnect the router from the internet, this path is no longer available, and the only possible connection to the server would be to use wi-fi.

If Kindle connect the via wifi, Kindle gets an IP from your router, and so you must use the local IP address of your server. The server has to accept connections over a local address on some port.

For example, I have a server set up on local address 192.150.23.124:8080, so that is the address I use with Kindle's browser when connecting to it over wifi. I haven't opened a port in my router to allow it to be connected to from the internet, but if I did, I would be using the IP assigned to the router by my ISP, and some port I've designated to pass through to the server.

Hope this is helpful.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote