View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

What are my options for reading daily newspapers on Iliad?

So I've had my Iliad since last summer. I'm reasonably happy with reading PDF'd books on it, either downloaded or created from my own library.

Irex clearly envisioned the device as a newspaper reader as well, but so far no English language newspapers seem to have signed up for IDS (if the WashPost/NYTimes/UKIndependent/WSJ offered an IDS subscription I'd sign up in a heartbeat). A few of our more technically minded developers here at Mobileread seem to have created scripts which download a news site (I'm thinking of the BBC script I tried in december) on a one-time basis.

But with all the RSS feeds, and free newspaper websites available, why hasn't anybody come up with a hack that simply downloads a paper or a news site automatically onto the Iliad when you connect it? Would this involve some significant reworking of the OS?

I submit that the device would be significantly more useful to a lot of us if somebody with some programming skills could make the device pull the BBC site down automatically, for instance (or even better, though perhaps more difficult, the NYT).
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote