View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
My couple days of browsing log files (on a non-jailbroken PW-3) left me thinking that my Kindle was sharing a lot more information with Amazon than I like.

[rant]
Not news, I have been upset since I posted my Chatty Kathy thread.
[/rant]

The browsing of log files plus using a disk forensics program on the USB storage area gave me a new "break it or fix it" idea.

Some things are discovering if the USB storage area is writable by doing a test write to it, followed immediately by a delete of the test filename.
Crude, but effective, at least until now.

• Connect Kindle to PC with USB cable
  • At the top level (next to the 'documents' directory) create a directory with the name:
    testWrite.txt
    Use exactly that name, exactly that capitalization and extension.
  • Enter the just made testWrite.txt directory
  • Create an empty, hidden, file with the name:
    .keep
    Use exactly that name.
  • Set that name to 'read-only'
  • Return to the top level directory
  • Set the testWrite.txt directory to read-only

Surprise, surprise, that does not break the Kindle. (I really thought it would).

Things that are transferred by cvm still get transfered.
**BUT**
Things that are transferred by tmd (transfer manager daemon) are not transfered.
tmd errors out with 'file system not writable' whenever it tries to setup a transfer (either upload or download).
duh, stupid software.

Enjoy your new privacy.
The system no longer can upload your log files, reading metrics, ps-info on what processes are running, etc, etc, etc.

BIG IMPORTANT NOTE
Do not rely on this as your sole protection against OTA updates!
At least not until people have a chance to test what this prohibits and what it allows.

Just use this in addition to the other user storage entries mentioned in this thread.

in honor of #83 83

Last edited by knc1; 10-28-2015 at 04:00 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote