View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes it does. AcidWeb is talking about *updating* metadata in existing joint mobi files, for which calibre will only update the first header record, i.e. the mobi 6 header record. He is creating his joint files using kindlegen, for the comic support, and then trying to use some tool to change the metadata records in the joint file.

I have no interest in adding support to calibre for updating both metadata records in a joint file, but patches are welcome. However, given that MOBI is a "fragile" format and making this kind of change would require extensive testing on various kindle devices/apps to ensure it doesn't break anything, dont expect to get those patches merged easily.

A better approach, IMO, is to simply add support for the KF8 fixed layout format to calibre's azw3 output plugin, when converting comic files (cbr/cbz).

That will require a bit of reverse engineering again, but it should not be too hard. However, I am currently too busy writing Sigil's replacement to get involved.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote