View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #77
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
you bring up some good points. Though I think David Pogues review of the original Nook was a bit over the top and very exaggerated at times. Barnes and noble did rush a product out before all of the kinks were ironed out. And as the old saying goes you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. another point i found disappointing about Pouges' review was unlike many other gadget reviewers, he left out that most of the bugs were firmware update fixable. Many, such as Cnet , mentioned this. And they did. By Feb. many of the bugs were fixed and by v1.3 in April, the Nook now could go against any ereader.
Well, that first impression issue was the problem. "That'll be fixed in a firmware update." isn't something that buyers want to hear, because you, as a consumer, don't always know there will be a firmware update. (If you bought a Microsoft Kin phone, and it doesn't have everything you ever wanted on it, you're basically SOL, to take one example.) You can't expect a product to be perfect out of the gate, but you should be able to expect fewer bugs than the original Nook had. And you also have the size, weight, and navigation issues, which a firmware update can't fix. I think the Nook Color redeems a lot of those first impressions, but moving away from e-Ink is probably going to cost them some support.

If Apple really wants to challenge Amazon in the reader realm, they might be able to do it, but they seem to be going in a different direction. That makes sense, since the iPad is a generalist device, but in the short term, I think it means Amazon will be alone at the top of the ereader heap for a while.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote