View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
CalibreSpy tells you what metadata.db says. Series Index is 1.0 in table Books as a default, so that is why you see 1.0.

All books without a series are assigned a series of "" (Null or None are too ugly) so they can be easily filtered upon and the table sorted quickly. I guess I could change the Series Index to "0.0" for those rows, but the sort sequence would change if a "" were used, as numbers sort before empty strings.

The counts are the counts of the choices in the Filter ComboBoxes, as the label says: "choices: 2". Series Filter Count is 2 because there are 2 choices: Series-Any/All and "", meaning no series.

CalibreSpy does not do any searches, but rather does only filtering.

Regarding global preferences, having them by metadata.db rather than globally would add some to the startup time, which I have optimized to be as fast as it is now. I guess I can make that decision a global preference, so if you do not want to wait for it on tiny tablets that have little juice to begin with, you won't have to. Personally, I would never use that functionality, which is why CalibreSpy does not have it, as I originally conceived it to solve my own issue with using the GUI on my 8" Win10 Tablet. As with all of my plugins excluding Zotero Metadata Importer (which I originally wrote as a favor, since I don't use Zotero (such software didn't exist back when I could have really used it), I originally wrote them for their primary user: me.

As for adding "new" columns, I was waiting for that. Again, startup time will increase depending on quantity of new columns and the datatypes (normalized custom columns with 2 tables that must be joined are much slower than unnormalized ones with only 1 table to load). Also, loading "comments" that are data-length-long translates to using much more bandwidth to load the data, translating into potentially much longer startup times. That would have to be a per-metadata.db choice, which is another reason CalibreSpy 1.0 does not have that functionality (all choices are global in 1.0).

Your comments about disabling Quick Switches in the GUI if CalibreSpy is running are confusing to me. CalibreSpy is meant to be run via a command file so it is entirely independent of the GUI. If the ability to run CS from the GUI is enabled by a user, then that instance of CS would die as soon as the GUI shuts down. Also, multiple instances of CS cannot be run simultaneously from the GUI. Another reason to use the command file.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote