Thread: Calibre 4.2
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #102
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
After reading all the problems Windows users seem to be having with drivers, graphics cards, memory, crashes, etc. I'm glad I use Linux.
What we're seeing are the rare exceptions, not the rule.

Quote:
I'm in no hurry to upgrade, I'm still on 3.48 and that version does everything I need. I'll upgrade once I determine that other Linux users who are more anxious to be on the bleeding edge have given the new version a green light.
If it is working for you there is no need to change versions. That said, since we are talking exceptions to the rule you'll have no idea how it will work for you until you try it. IIRC, one positive thing you have going for you is the developer of calibre develops this software on his Linux machine.

Quote:
I'm certainly not going to upgrade my graphics card just to run Calibre. I don't even have a graphics card in my main desktop - the MoBo integrated graphics are more than adequate for the 2D applications I run. Calibre included. I can't believe the Windows software and hardware requirements seem so high for Calibre
Windows software and hardware requirements for Calibre are the same as for any simple program out there.

There is no need for a special graphics card to run calibre, I have a 7 year old machine running Windows 64 with onboard graphics and things always run fine. And on the memory front calibre doesn't use much memory at all, 350 megs for a 12,000+ book library. Only complex conversions may require a lot of memory and that is an issue on any operating system.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-01-2019 at 11:25 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote