Thread: Calibre 4.2
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 05:12 AM   #101
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Calibre included. I can't believe the Windows software and hardware requirements seem so high for Calibre (or maybe it's for Windows in general - hard to tell which it is). 16Gb of memory? In Linux, that's moderate server level stuff. Individual desktop systems don't need anywhere near that much.
There is a HUGE difference between 64 bit Windows and 32 bit. I have a Win10 tablet that has a 64 bit CPU, yet maker put 32bit on it because it's not enough Flash & RAM for 64 bit and too slow. Yet it's fine with 64bit Debian except for touch rotation. You need to make a custom USB stick for Mint 64 as the tablet has a 32 bit EFI. I put Win10 32 bit back on, just use it for PDFs.

XP is much less RAM and CPU resource than Win10.

4.2 Calibre with over 2000 books, some 300 are big PDFs
I have 32 bit Calibre on an old 2G RAM 32bit Linux laptop (Mint 18.3) that even has the rubbish Intel i945GMA integrated graphics. I have Calibre on a 4G RAM 64bit Linux (Mint 18.3).
Also tested on 64 bit Mint 19.2

My main laptop is 8G RAM 64bit Mint 18.3. I've found 32bit Wine a pig to install on 64bit Mint 19.x vs 64 bit Mint 18.x

Also there is no penalty on installing 64 bit Linux over 32 bit unlike Win7 & Win10. OTH if the CPU is ONLY 32bit you have to have 32bit Linux and then there is no 6.2 LibreOffice, no Viber and no Waterfox. Lazy developers, it's just a different set of compiler flags in Make file.

I think the Windows spec for Calibre reflects what a hog MS Windows 10 64bit is.

Been using Windows since win 3.0.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote