View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #19
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I felt the same; glad to have read it, but won’t read another. I have to agree with gmw about the other faults. I don’t think Hammett’s writing was very polished. His overuse of adjectives drove me crazy.

They often muddied the waters rather than painting a believable picture. For example, at one point he described a character’s eyes as looking wet, but then said they were not watery. He kept qualifying his own descriptions! He belonged to the ‘more is better’ club.

I know I’m being picky. It’s fun, taken in a pulp, noir spirit.

Gmw, in terms of your question, I don’t have much faith in Brigid’s declaration of love either.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote