View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #390
HawkJacq
HawkJacq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Here's what I've found:

This seems to be happening when a character has a blank description, so I have added "No description available" text when one is not available and it seems to be working. A new version of the app (g) has been uploaded to fix that.
Dear Ephemerality,

After two days of testing version "g" with the same Book I mentioned via PM, I reached several conclusions and questions.

1.- Now the Chapters work fine. Thanks for that.

2.- Sadly enough, I tried more than 15 times with version "g", changing lot of variables (options in your program, options in Calibre, start from cero, etc) with no success. All the procedure worked fine, without errors (only the author one) but X-Ray button doesnt worked after pressing it and nothing appeared.

3.- What solved the problem was the metadata setting. As the book is in Spanish I tried to use all variables in Spanish. I always used Amazon.com English Metadata due to the fact that it was the only way X-Ray Builder doesnt warn about ANSI Code because Spanish Version doesnt have that ANSI Number. I decided to bypass all the Warnings of your program, set Amazon Spain in your options and also set Spain in Calibre Options, getting Spanish Metadata for the book. Even though X-Ray Builder warned me about invalid ANSI Number, it finished the procedure and that was the only way X-Ray was showed properly. Of course I started all from the begining, even converting the original book with Calibre. You were right saying that X-Ray Builder by itself search for info in English version if it doesnt find it in the Spanish one. Again, in my ignorance about your great work, I still have the doubt if there is some kind of problem with mixing Spanish Books with metadata or options in English.

4.- My next step was to learn how to include all Characters of the Book using a Text File. As you may have noticed about the Book I was working with, in the last pages there is a complete list of Characters with a brief description about them. So I Copy-Paste the List in the Text File and gave the Structure you explained ("Character" Line, the name below, and the description below). I used X - Ray Builder with that file, and it was a Complete Success. All Characters were showed in X - Ray, with the description I included and number of mentions to the right of the Name.

5.- Even though what I mentioned in Number 4 was a success, I came with two problems. The Spanish accent (´) in names (Ex: "Capitán") was showed with a small question mark ("Capit?n") so no match appeared about that Book Character. So I erased all accents ("Capitan" instedad of "Capitán") and tried. To my surprise it seems that X-Ray Builder doesnt consider accents because even if it was "Capitan" instead of "Capitán", X-Ray showed the name correctly and also the mentions.

6.- The Aliases were another problem but I fear it has no solution. In a Book you may have this Characters:"Enzo Thorton", "Enzo Saliere" and "Enzo Cordi". If in each of them you use "Enzo" as Alias, you get Mixed mentions. I mean,for example, "Enzo Thorton" shows mentions of himself but also of Saliere and Cordi. The same for "Enzo Saliere" and "Enzo Cordi". The solution is not to use the Alias "Enzo". But if you do so, you will loose mentions of each Character due to the fact that you not always call, for example, "Enzo Saliere" by "Enzo Saliere"...it can be called many time only as "Enzo" and the same things goes for "Thorton" and "Cordi". The same can happen with brothers and sisters...As I see, and I beg you to correct me if that is no true, there is no way to solve this... Or you get mixed mentions for Characters with same names, or you get less mentions if you use only their Complete names. From my point of view it isnt a great problem and I prefer mixed mentions that I can discard after reading, instead of less of them.

7.- The Third Tab in X-Ray, the one that in my Kindle is called "Términos" (maybe "Terms" in English) sometimes shows "There was an error". In my last test it only appeared "there is no one found" in the actual page and in the Book. What is the purpose of this Tab? Can be edited?

8.- Analysing a book in English I bought from Amazon.com I noticed in X-Ray an additional Tab called "Images" in which screenshots of the Book were shown. I suppose this isnt implemented in X-Ray Builder but I believe is not a bad option with books (specially fantasy ones) that shows a Map in the first pages, as a way to quicky access to that Map.

9.- Is there a way to Edit Author Biography so as to avoid the Error shown in X-Ray Builder when is working?

10.- When I started the book (the very first time), it showed the Goodread info box about the Book and its configuration. It seems that even using a text file for characters in X-Ray Builder (and no marking the Goodread option) it uses info from Goodreads. It seems I wrongly assumed that the text file bypasses Goodreads.

Well, I am going to work with another book, to see if it has similar results. I will mix Spanish Book with English metadata to see if X-Ray doesnt work again, and then I will use Spanish Metadata. I am also going to create a text file after searching for the Characters in the Web.

Thanks for your time and patient reading all my stuff. I also sent a PM with the files used in my final test.

Best Regards...

Last edited by HawkJacq; 07-20-2016 at 02:37 PM.
HawkJacq is offline   Reply With Quote