View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #383
HawkJacq
HawkJacq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019
Good Day,

Sorry to bother again...I was wrong about a "success" in creating X-Ray File...That is only partially right. I noticed two problems...

1.- The first one is not so complicated... I have tested with two books and made more than 15 X-Rays for each of them, testing different options...50% of that attemps I get the X-Ray button (upper left side of the Kindle) but if I press the button (touch it) it highlight but nothing else happens... I mean...the X-Ray screen doesnt show up. All last Tests have resulted in the inhability to enter X-Ray button and I dont understand what I have changed.

2.- This problem is a disaster...I realized that only the first X-Ray screen works. I mean, it shows the Goodreads Characters and the number of times they appear in the book. But if you press a name so as to enter the mentions, nothing happens and the book hangs up, only be able to get out by pressing the Home Button. But then, entering the Book again and pressing the X-Ray Button yields no result, I mean after that hung up, you cannot enter X-Ray again. The only way is to Restart the Device.

During the process of building the X-Ray no error is shown, only the Authors Biography which is not found. Moreover, I use the Metadata and ANSI Amazon Number from the English version even noting that the book is the Spanish Version. The Book appears in Amazon Spain, but the X-Ray Builder doesnt accept that ID. Maybe there is a problem using an Spanish Version with English Metadata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
I had intended to create a video on the chapters file, but I never even finished the one for aliases. I might throw together some screenshots or something if I get a chance.
Basically, the name is just the name of the chapter (Chapter 1, or whatever other name it might have), start is the location that the chapter starts within the file, and end is the location where it ends.
I normally use Notepad++ to grab the locations. I look for the chapter in the book, place the cursor there, then highlight from that point back to the beginning of the book and the "Sel" value on the bottom bar of N++ is the offset.
After solving the problems I mentioned I will give it a try...

Quote:
Yeah, the aliases only apply to characters that can be located in the data source (Goodreads, XML, txt, etc).
Previously you could just edit Shelfari to add any characters, but now with the shift to Goodreads it's not an option. You have a couple options:
  • Hit the 'Save Goodreads Info to XML' button, which will export the existing data to the xml folder. You can then modify it to add your characters. I'm not sure how technical you are, you'd have to know a bit about XML to make sure you follow the correct format.
  • Create a .txt file with the characters and descriptions. Example format for that:
    Code:
    Character
    John Smith
    Description of John Smith
    Character
    Sam Smith
    Description of Sam Smith
    etc
    Keeping in mind that the word 'Character' needs to precede each one
In both cases, you would then set the source button to File and choose your file.
I must admit that it isnt my area of expertise, but thats the most funny part...learn how to do this things...Its a way to relax...I only bought my first Kindle two weeks ago, I am learning lots of things from Calibre, your Post and the forum...

Quote:
If you keep using Goodreads as a source, you can use the alias file so it will match the Spanish version of a name (eg Peter|Pedro). It wouldn't show up in the character descriptions (it would still show the English form), though.
However, if you go the XML/TXT file route, you can put the names in their Spanish form there. Since it wouldn't be using Goodreads anymore, the builder wouldn't know about the English ones at all!
I understand what you mean

Quote:
Thank YOU for making use of the program!
No...I am the one to give the thanks for YOUR time and SUPPORT....

Thanks again...
HawkJacq is offline   Reply With Quote