View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Only in the unlikely event the judge gives the prosecution everything it wants.

If you don't like the publishers, then read the kinds of books which don't require heavy editing and advance-funded research. There are loads of such books available from the indie community. However, I don't see a benefit in unnecessarily damaging the business model of large publishers.

Every medium to large publisher book is available from public libraries, at least on interlibrary loans. What's most important to me isn't whether I can afford to have my own personal copy, but whether the books being published are as good as possible.

Right now, I am reading a book published by the Rutgers University Press and sold, in Kindle edition, for $35.40:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cure-Child...dhood+miracles

If that far-higher-than-big-publisher price is what's going to help Rutgers University Press produce more books of quality, that's fine with me. Or you can find this title, lightly used, via bookfinder.com, for $4.81. Or you can get it, in return for paying taxes, at a public library.
I read a lot of research heavy non-fiction and I know such books must cost more. And such books never were 9.99 at Amazon, but always more expensive.

Now as for bestsellers, the publishers get more money using the wholesale model. They allow discounting of hard covers and paperbacks (why didn't they try the agency model for those?), so why should ebooks be excluded from healthy competition among retailers. Sorry, we are not buying that "Amazon is destroying the market" mantra because they have a few loss leaders at 9.99.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote