Thread: <TT>–</TT>
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
<TT>–</TT>

same regex book as in another thread, but this question got buried at end of thread, so I an reposting it for help:

- I am losing the hyphen from this line
"using the – metacharacter"
that is a copy + paste from the CHM source - but no matter how I do the conversion to epub or to mobi, i end up with this when I view the output:
"using the metacharacter"

I've tried ticking transliterate, tried cp1252 encoding ....

using view source on the chm I see this
Code:
 using the <TT>–</TT> metacharacter
in the output epub .xhtml it is simply missing. all that TT stuff is just not there and I see plain text -

but if I convert to mobi with same settings and send to Kindle then I see a question mark inside a box character, where the dash should be !

how do I get the line to convert correctly into epub ?

PS - what is even more puzzling is that elsewhere in the book, what seems to be the same html DOES convert OK - e.g. this line converted OK into epub.
- (hyphen) is a special metacharacter
source code followed by epub code - all correct
Code:
class="docText"><TT>-</TT> (hyphen) is a special metacharacter
( the calibre13 bits just sets a colour)
Code:
<p class="docText1"><tt class="calibre13">-</tt> (hyphen)
aha - when I look real closely - the 2 examples have different length hyphens - that explains why the 2nd example is OK but not what the special character in the 1st example is, or how to convert it. but i think it shows that the issue is with the hyphen, not with the TT stuff ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-06-2011 at 03:01 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote