View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #10
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Gutenberg.org also has other languages. Not a criticism! The more the merrier. I was just wondering if there are any technical differences that make it better to download from bookland.net. I notice that the download process is slightly different -- at gutenberg.org you have to download and save whereas at bookland.net you click and get the (unreadable) epub file itself, then save.
The books appear to be the same (identical) as the PG versions - even the names contain the same PG catalogue number (just without the 'pg' prefix).

The download process is very slightly different - on Bookland you should right-click the link and do a 'Save As...' to avoid the 'unreadable' ePub being displayed in the browser (it'a actually the ZIP contents being displayed, hence the non-readability in the browser window). It may pay for Bookland to adjust how the links work to avoid any problems by non-tech users.

Overall I think the site is good, and as has been said, the more the merrier for providing access to public domain works - a kind of modern version of the Great Library of Alexandria, but with access for all!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote