View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The Astak arrived today!
It's the same size, but with all those buttons on the top,it looks much smaller to me (looks more the size of the Jetbook Mini,which is actually the same size)!
Offers about the same feats,except it has a basic TTS!
The TTS is not the best sounding, perhaps a bit robotic, but I can understand it perfectly well!
The screen is much lighter than the jetbook! Blacks are more grey-ish, but the background is also a bit lighter.
It gives the overall impression that the Astak has a lower contrast ratio than the Jetbook!
The resolution is noticeably better, however the screen font is worse to me!
I always read from the Jetbook on a font somewhere between small and normal on the Astak. I can't select that font and feel the astak's small font is just too small, and the normal font is just too large.
However I prefer small over normal, as it shows more text per page.

The astak also has the feeling that it cuts off lines too early, perhaps the Jetbook had a feat to start a new line with 'indent' (I believe the word was, I mean, a small tab before), or stretch sentences to fit screen.
The Astak has more the feeling of centering lines in larger fonts, as there are too few words fitting a screen, and get cut off at the end to be placed at the next line.
At smaller fonts it looks to me like a whole block of text, harder to read...

Apart from that Astak's weight is nearly half of the Jetbook! It's cover is also of much higher quality! And it's e-ink!
Mine came with a 2GB SD Card, filled with TXT files, and mp3 music. It plays back music ok; a bit (artificially) crystallic, but not bad!
The music player controls are less organized, and harder to grasp.

One thing I do like about the Astak is that it uses one filebrowser. You can open books, pictures, or music from the same browser, unlike the Jetbook,where you had to select either music, or books.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 04:00 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote