View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question Cloud syncing issues btwn Paperwhite (5.9.6) & Amazon.com

I've edited what I previously posted to make this bug clearer.

I am having sync issues with Cloud collections on my Paperwhite gen 6 running the most recent firmware. Other people are having the same problem: https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...y-kindle-oasis

1) The collections count is wrong. My device showed only 17 cloud collections where there were 19 on amazon.com (All>Collections (17)). After a reset, only 14 collections were shown (All>Collections (14)). These are collections created on amazon.com using Manage Your Content and Devices (amazon).

2) Syncing is inconsistent.
All changes made on amazon sync perfectly with my Kindle app on my iPad (iPad). All changes made on my iPad sync perfectly with amazon. Renaming, adding, and removing books from collections, as well as creating and deleting collections, all sync perfectly between amazon and my iPad. However, most changes sync inconsistently to the Paperwhite, if at all. I am referring to changes in All>Collections, not DOWNLOADED.

3) I am not confused about ALL vs. DOWNLOADED. People assume user error because it's common, so I just want to make this point explicitly clear. These are collection changes not showing under ALL, which should reflect the cloud record shown on amazon.

Curiously, changes made to collections on the Paperwhite sync successfully to amazon and the iPad. It's the other direction that is buggy and unoperational.

• If I add a book to a collection from the Paperwhite, but remove it with my iPad, the change is synced across devices. However, if I add a book to a collection from Paperwhite, but remove it on amazon, the sync often only happens with the iPad.

• After editing collections on the iPad or amazon, the Paperwhite shows no change in the count of books per collection after syncing. Sometimes, I can open a collection to force the added or removed book to be updated, but often, that simply doesn't work. Waiting doesn't seem to make the difference whether I wait an hour or overnight. Sometimes the changes sync, and ofttimes they don't.

Here's what I've done to fix the problem:

1) I've installed the latest firmware. No change.
2) I've rebooted the Paperwhite. No change.
3) I've reset the Paperwhite and set it up as a new device. The problem got worse!
4) I've created a new collection on the Paperwhite and experimented to see if syncing worked better with that collection vs the older ones. No difference.

I'm stumped. It's obviously a bug. Haven't called Kindle support yet. That didn't seem to work for people in the other forum. I've run out of ideas. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix cloud syncing?

See also: https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...ng-collections

Last edited by Cootey; 08-11-2018 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Clarity
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote