View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I don't see why not. I had a quick look, and there are at least some reasonable college textbooks in my field (computer science) over there. Higher level books typically don't make their authors any decent money anyway, so I don't see why they shouldn't release them under open licenses.
Perhaps open source textbooks will gain some momentum, but I’m not seeing it.

I don’t fully understand how Pearson is successful selling textbooks given what is available on the internet for free. If I were teaching computer science, I would not be have my students buying and reading textbooks, I’d have them writing code every day, and coming up with projects on their own.

Khan Academy seems quite good for k-12 and there are no textbooks involved.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote