View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #43
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
I sympathise with the desire to punish authors/publishers for these silly restrictions but what of Amazon customers who use the rating system to help them determine which books to read. If I browse through my recommendation list and see a two star rated book (with many reviews) I assume the book is bad, not that customers are disgruntled by the publisher's behaviour.

We should also remember that these reviews are permanent and after the Kindle version is released, they will drag the book's rating down for a very long time.

I think it does a disservice to fellow readers to be misusing the system in this way.
That is the whole point of the exercise. Hurt the publishers for the way they are treating customers, or that should be potential customers. In addition to not being able to buy the product themselves, via the rating system it is possible to have an effect, however small, on other peoples potential purchases.

And the line about there being no such thing as bad publicity is not true.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote