View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Howard, Robert E.: Savage Stories of Conan, v 3, 25 Aug 2011

Robert Ervin Howard (1906-1936) was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. His most known creation is probably the character of Conan the Cimmerian, which contributed establishing the genre of sword-and-sorcery fantasy.

I've created here a collection of all freely available original Conan stories by Howard. The stories are ordered by publication date, but I've also included a chronological (in-story time) list, and at the end of each story there is a link to the next one (if you want to read them in publication order, ignore the link and page forward).

Unfortunately, one of the stories, "The Vale of Lost Women", seems to be still under copyright in Canada (it was first published less than 50 years ago), but it is copyright-free in the US (it has apparently not been renewed). If you are in a country where all stories are copyright-free (as in most of the EU, I believe), you can replace the file "OEBPS/Book-22-01.xhtml" inside the .epub with the version in the US server (see readme.html), just make sure it stays in the correct directory inside the .epub.

At the end there is an essay about the Hyborian Age, the fictitious historical and geographical setting of the stories, and there is also a map (it's rotated throug SVG, I hope it works in the different ePUB readers).

The titles use embedded fonts, which I think look pretty good and appropriate

The source for the texts is mainly Project Gutenberg Australia. I've made some corrections and changes for consistency. For those wanting to read this in a web browser, I include an index.zip file: just unzip this and the .epub file in the same directory, and open index.html (and modify index.css if you like).

As usual, all comments are welcome.

EDIT (v2): Fixed a wrong chapter link and updated to support the epub2pdf script.

EDIT (v3): Added the three missing stories.

(previous download count: 1297)
File located off-site. To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip index.zip (1.6 KB, 1020 views)
File Type: epub Savage Stories of Conan.epub (1.34 MB, 2499 views)
File Type: html readme.html (883 Bytes, 1151 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 08-25-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote