View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #81
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I bolded what should be the key part of your post. You've made some money (however small the amount) from your work haven't you? So your expectation holds true and you should be satisfied.
Well, no: I do not mean to say that I should be satisfied at making a single penny selling a book. I think you're purposely taking my words too literally.

At the risk of sounding like a greedy capitalist (I know, too late), "however large or small" is relative to the individual; and in my case, the amount is too small to be useful or fulfilling. The amount I seek from ebook sales isn't "large" for many people (I'm not expecting to pay off my house or get through a year of college tuition), but it is financially significant (will pay some small bills, buy a nice dinner or two, etc... ie, $3-600 a month).

My present monthly income would not pay for a night out at a movie.

So we're clear: I'd like to see $3-600 a month coming in from ebook sales (of a dozen books), which BTW doesn't come close to equaling the time and effort spent in creating those books IMO; and presently I'm seeing less than $10 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I don't believe you are wrong in hoping to make more money for your efforts, and I don't think you are necessarily in a minority in expecting that you should be able to earn more money for your efforts. Where I believe you are mistaken is in believing that such income will happen just because you've written the book and put in the hard years. Artistic endeavour doesn't seem to work like that.
No, I don't expect to make money just because I write. (How little people seem to think of me...) I expected to sell books because my books are well-written and produced in high quality, are low-priced, and have been highly rated on books outlets and blogs; and I expected that those qualities would generate buzz and word of mouth enough to sell them at a reasonable rate, instead of falling through the black hole where they reside now.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 07-07-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote