View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
rikkinumber
rikkinumber began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura
Question Kobo aura screen replacement - touchscreen top row unresponsive

Hi everyone,

After a small accident with my Kobo Aura (1st edition, N514) the screen cracked and died, I ordered one from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-e-ink-ED0...EAAOSwrUdeqXXw) and then proceeded to wait for the shipment to arrive.

Thanks to various posts on the internet, it was easy to find out how to disassemble the device and change the screen. I made sure to unplug the battery when doing this, and also used a heat pack to pry out the old screen. There was plenty of adhesive left so I just pressed in the new screen.

Everything worked great except for touch input along the top of the screen, it just doesn't register anything. Everywhere else on the screen registers touch input. I've tried cleaning the contacts on the ribbon cables with just a drop of isopropanol and making sure they're correctly inserted, but to no avail.

I guess either the screen is defective, or there could be a hardware revision which broke compatibility. I checked the part number of the old one (ED060XH3) in order to get a matching replacement. However, there is a number on the touch screen digitizer ribbon which is lightly different: 131421Q1V1.1-3 the new part I got ends with '5'

Any help greatly appreciated!
rikkinumber is offline   Reply With Quote