View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
At a glace (and particularly with kindle @ $139) it's temping to think it's the better buy now but it's really not quite that simple. Buying a kindle is buying into Amazon for your sole book source, essentially. Yes, their selection is great and prices are often good, but you're still locked in. No library e-loans. No EPUB.
I like the underdog, too, and it was actually the initial wave of Kobo hype that hooked me on the idea of buying an ereader. But then B&N and Amazon both undercut them on price while offering more features. The Kobo price cut still leaves it more expensive than the K3 when you count tax.

And as a practical matter, it seems far easier for an unscrupulous tax dodgin' type to get library EPUBs over to the Kindle than it is to get cheap Amazon mobis Kobo-ready.

I just don't see how Kobo competes unless they cut their price to under 100.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote