View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear-yes, tapping the mouse cursor is a click, tapping twice, right click. There are other settings actually to move around the screen as well.
All the parts are there? Kind of like you'd expect in a mouse-to-touch translation? I mean, I commend LogMeIn and the guys who made Screens for making the interface work at all :P But, it is frustrating at times. I'd say for what I use it for (checking on Word/Excel files I don't have access to on the go, getting files-I just drag them to Dropbox, very convenient!), etc... it is a nice app to have.

Running a computer on it? I thought I would do that more at home actually?
You know, lie on my couch with the iPad, and access my Mac remotely? Sadly, it is *still* easier to just get up and use the Mac. For me at least.

You may be happier with a full fledged slate that has total functionality, not just access, if you know what I mean.
Thanks that is really nice detail. My main purpose is to not need to drag the laptop with me while working on a project. I have a business specific app I use but I don't need or want to do everything at the same time. I might fill in some data here and there, make a few notes then move to the next part of the job and repeat. Later I would drag out the laptop and finish the job(s) by filling in all the details and with a ton more keyboard input. But all the input is text no drawing, photos or what have you. That is why I am hoping a VNC client might be a nice solution until we have some better Windows based options. Of course we might never have them if Apple, Android, WebOS and even GoogleOS/ChromiumOS keep evolving as fast as they are. Right now Windows is lagging a ton. Don't know why they did not keep pushing on the mobile and touch screen platforms it has seemed like the obvious direction for a few decades now. Oh, well, as long as i can run my old antique apps via an emulator (likely might not be too long and I will actually ahve to run them in a virtual box which would really slow down a VNC solution) I'm OK enough.

I really appreciate the details on how the app you are using works. I was just nosing around for a video demo so if it is as responsive as Screens I am golden no matter what client I run. And that was what I was 'afraid' of learning. Now that I know it's a good thing it's near to impossible to find a 64gb or even 32gb black iPad 2. I can see this is gonna cost me later this summer. Yeah, like I am really broken hearted about that part!

ANd thanks for the reminder about using Dropbox for sharing any data files I might need. I had not gotten to thinking about apps other than the main business app. What would be awesome is if the developer of the database app would build an iOS client app but that is not likely to ever happen as the developer is likely ready to retire, me too, so updates have dried up to the bare minimum. Still I might bug him about an iOS client app even though the main app is pure Wintel being written in Delphi by Borland using a Paradox dbase engine. So I truly doubt it's never going to be ported.

Last edited by grumpy3b; 04-05-2011 at 05:08 PM.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote