View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Help choosing a dedicated "Public Domain" e-reader?

Hi all, first-time poster, and I've been lurking for a few weeks now.

I'm thinking about getting a second e-reader, or changing e-readers altogether. I currently use a non-touch Kindle 4, and I'm extremely happy with it, but for one issue: I'm the sort of person who wants to carry their entire e-book library on their device (it's the same reason that I can't abide an iPod shuffle - too much music!), and since learning about Project Gutenberg only recently, I've managed to develop a calibre library that's just way too large for my Kindle!

I live in Australia, and the "main" contenders (at least in my area) are the Amazon, Kobo and Sony. To my knowledge, both Kobo and Sony design their e-readers with expandable storage, right? So I'm trying to decide between the Kobo Touch or the Sony PRS-T2. (I don't need any of the bells and whistles of the Kobo Glo etc - all I need is a sturdy reader with expandable storage.) So if you'd be able to help me decide where to settle my mammoth collection, I'd really appreciate it.

* How do the collection / shelving capabilities of the T2 and Touch compare with each other, and how do they compare with the Kindle 4?

* How responsive are the page turns, really, with extended use? I've tried out both devices in-store and found that there were a lot of dead touches with the Kobo, but that may have been because they're heavily-used demo units.

* How does the firmware compare for general usability?

* Do I absolutely have to install Kobo Desktop / ADE onto my desktop to use each device, keeping in mind that the devices are for side-loading public domain books only? I'd prefer to work exclusively with calibre.

Thank you for any and all input.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote