View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
My real beef is the addition of marketing/advertising pushes to a product which was bought without them and, even more, the tone of the way these are justified e.g. on their blog where they're touted as "improving your reading experience". They don't improve my reading experience, only an idiot, or a liar, would think that they do. They've let the liars, marketing, drive the process.
The thing that some of us have to try to understand is that some customers see this marketing drive as an improved experience. They want recommendations. They want social networking. They want reading life.

Now I don't understand why because I'm not one of those people. Yet it would be arrogant of me to assume that Kobo's rise or fall depends upon my personal opinion on such matters.

(Actually, I do sort of understand it. I am highly concerned about privacy and usually make decisions that reflect that. On the other hand, I am giving up a lot of convenience when I disable or work around features on these devices. I could, for example, purchase a book in less than a minute with the Touch's store. It takes much longer if I conduct the same transaction using means that protect at least some of my privacy.)