View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #102
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
But they also filter out a lot of good books. A dozen of them filtered out 'Harry Potter' and lost a billion dollars in the process, for example, and horror publishers seem to have been filtering out anything other than 'Twilight' rip-offs and 'James Joyce, zombie hunter' novels.

There's an interesting essay called 'On the survival of rats in the slush pile' which goes into some detail on why the slush pile as a submission system is a disaster for both writers and publishers. I'm not sure I entirely agree with it, but it does make a lot of sense.
Hmmm, searched this out and to be honest, tl;dr

I tend to agree that many great books/stories don't see the light of day, I wish there were a better way, not sure just publishing everything is the answer either, we need to somehow as readers be able to find those great books that are of interest to us. Honestly I don't know how, other that via reviews, publicity, etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote