View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Tagore, Rabindranath: The Home and the World. V1. 02-Oct-2011

Rabindranath Tagore (7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941), sobriquet Gurudev, was a Bengali polymath who reshaped his region's literature and music. Author of Gitanjali and its “profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse”, he became the first non-European Nobel laureate by earning the 1913 Prize in Literature. In translation his poetry was viewed as spiritual and mercurial; his seemingly mesmeric persona, floccose locks, and empyreal garb garnered him a prophet-like aura in the West. His “elegant prose and magical poetry” remain largely unknown outside Bengal.

Excerpt:
MOTHER, today there comes back to mind the vermilion mark at the parting of your hair, the sari which you used to wear, with its wide red border, and those wonderful eyes of yours, full of depth and peace. They came at the start of my life’s journey, like the first streak of dawn, giving me golden provision to carry me on my way.
The sky which gives light is blue, and my mother’s face was dark, but she had the radiance of holiness, and her beauty would put to shame all the vanity of the beautiful.
Everyone says that I resemble my mother. In my childhood I used to resent this. It made me angry with my mirror. I thought that it was God’s unfairness which was wrapped round my limbs—that my dark features were not my due, but had come to me by some misunderstanding. All that remained for me to ask of my God in reparation was, that I might grow up to be a model of what woman should be, as one reads it in some epic poem.
When the proposal came for my marriage, an astrologer was sent, who consulted my palm and said, “This girl has good signs. She will become an ideal wife.”
And all the women who heard it said: “No wonder, for she resembles her mother.”
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Home and the World - Rabindranath Tagore.epub (300.1 KB, 895 views)
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote