View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Basically if you don't have a DXG, don't buy one.

Also you can't undo Firmware updates on a Kindle.

The screen is less good for PDFs than a 6.8" H2O original. The 7" Kobo Libra is even better being 300 dpi. While the screen is better than the DX, it's still a lower resolution screen.

The battery will need replaced. It's possible, but it takes 25 to 36 hours of the 3G being on to recover time and date.

The battery runs down fast on 3G, it's about 1/2 the size of a Kobo Libra battery, phone sized.

Most sites with HTTPS won't work.

It's 3G and GSM. That's maybe OK in Africa and Asia and still not bad in Europe. It was always a problem in USA (CDMA-One and 3G) and worse with 3G migrating to 4G. Then the date/time won't reset.

You can't manually set the date/time so "most recent" fails if there is no 3G when it needs the time Reset. There is no "off", it does run the battery flat enough that the time & date resets to 1970.

It's really heavy. Heavier than my 10" Lenovo LCD tablet which is 1/2 the price of an 8" eink and has a 256 G micro SD card added for all my PDFs. I read real books on 6" to 7" eink.

No touch and the keyboard is really really poor. I've 30c "tact" switches that work better.

Creation of Collections is difficult if the DXG isn't registered. If it needs registered and you have no 3G, you might have a problem. Can be accidently de-registered. A second-hand one might also be blacklisted.

I did replace the battery on mine.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote