Thread: Reading PDF's
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Reading PDF's

Like many others here, I wasn't terribly impressed with the Reader's PDF support. I have quite a few commercial pdf's, most obtained when I bought the hard copy book, and the Reader won't display them readably. It gets old processing the files before reading- I could do that for my Reb and Rocketbook. Not to mention that I have spent hundreds of dollars over the years buying conversion software (not just for the Sony).

Today, my Archos 504 video player arrived, and it has the capacity to display pdf's. I didn't hold out much hope of it working well as a pdf reader- until I copied some pdf's (commercial, non-drm'd) over to it and tried reading them. Well, out of the 9 I have tested so far, 7 are very readable. You have to scroll down the page to see everything, but it beats using a Palm and I don't have to pre-process the files.

The Archos is also a much better video player than the Ipod, so I am very happy with it. Maybe Sony should see what this device can do and start paying attention to the shortcomings with PDF display that the Reader has.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote