View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Is the screen like an Ipads that make it almost impossible to read in sunlight...?? Is the weight too cumbersome to read for any lenghth of time...I like my Kindle, but not any of the light solutions. So Im looking for something backlite..The color Nook fits the bill but hard to judge attached to a podium at a store....
You don't even need to ask. It's not a PixelQi LCD so it's not going to be readable in bright direct(or nearly so) sunlight, nor will ANY other non-PixelQi(or Mirasol(not even shipping yet)) display.

Pixel Qi: about the only tablet w/it so far is a Notion Ink which is c. $500, but personally I'd wait until people actually have one and leave comments if you are even going to think of one. Personally I'm going to see if they can survive long enough to make a second(maybe third) tablet and get them in b&m stores in NA, as in I want to see them in person first, and have a much close location for intial service & support in the event that it has to go back for some hw problem or other.

Right now, I'm doing what others have suggested, using a Sony PRS-505 eInk(sometimes some of my older greyscale devices too) reader in sunlight and the Nook Color for poor lighting conditions/night. (VS gTablet was just too big to read comfortably with and it's screen would fare no better in sunlight, maybe even worse than the NC since it also has poor viewing angles which really don't matter in general use though given that you look directly at the device.)

Back to displays: NC (most LCDs) yeah IF you can get enough shade you SHOULD be able to read on them fairly comfortably at 50% or so backlight setting but will take a battery runtime hit as the backlight by far uses the most power, followed by WiFi. (I generally like to run my notebooks & tablets @ fairly minimal backlight, i.e. just about as low as I can set it and find it comfortable to use which is generally nearly as low as it will go, to extend my battery runtime. Not as much of a problem with the gTablet though as I can easily get 8+h w/a fair bit of WiFi usage, while I'm estimating 6-8h for the NC with minimal WiFi. To me the NC is more of a reader and a supplemental tablet secondarily when I want to travel and not to deal with the relatively more bulky gTablet, which also makes it a bit more unwieldly to handle... not as easy to one hand...)

Weight: after the hefty Pandigital Novel(white), and the 1.5lb Gorilla gTab nothing phases me any longer... however it's noticeably heavier than a Kindle or my PRS-505 or similar are... but after the iPad, it shouldn't bother you at all.

caveat: my sunlight usability are from experience with a wide range of displays as by the time the NC came out and I procured one we were in the middle of winter along with the accompanying almost continuous overcast skies and weak sunlight even when not... OK technically late fall, but that may as well be winter here along with early spring...

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 01-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote