View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does use a system call to eject devices, but it's not quite the same thing as what happens when you use the safely remove hardware function, mainly because the USB subsystem in windows is so poorly designed that trying to figure it out was not worth the effort for me.

As far as being safe to disconnect, you can actually pull the cable at any time as long as no device jobs are running in calibre (that's what I do, though it is best to wait a few seconds after the last device job completes, just to be safe). The eject button is there only because I got tired of getting requests for it from people that were under the impression it was necessary.
Hi Kovid
I'm on Vista at the moment, so I used to use the Vista "Eject" and NOT the "safely remove .." feature. Worked like a charm until, I think, 7.45.
Will do some experiment to see if I can replicate the problem.
More info to come.

Edit: Calibre eject device, seems to be the as Vista " Eject device" and "Safely remove .."
Will use that in the future, but backup, backup, backup

Last edited by pchrist7; 02-25-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: more info
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote