View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #42
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I will admit I'm quite surprised at two things here
a) the requirment to launch calibre as ADMINISITRATOR
b) the statement that many plugins don't work with calibre portable

Can you point me to examples please (especially of the second)?

I will admit I installed Portable and CALM and it appeared to work. Do remember that if you DO use portable, you do NOT run the calibre command; rather you launch calibre-portable.exe

CALM spawns operating system subprocesses that Windows 7 UAC stops dead unless the Calibre has been started as an Administrator. Library Codes does the same thing.

There was no statement that "many plugins don't work with calibre portable". The statement was exactly:
Quote:
Calibre Portable does not play well with many plug-ins, including CALM, unless the user jumps through hoops with several Calibre-specific environment variables. I refer you to the Calibre Portable documentation, as well as to other posts on that topic in this forum.
You are a Calibre expert and very technical. The fact that you installed Portable such that it could find the CALM .json configuration file does not surprise me at all. However, simple users have not been so lucky since they are not up to changing the environment variables.

Personally, I have never used Calibre Portable at all, and have no idea how to install or use it.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote