View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #76
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Alex,

It's entirely obvious from your posting on this thread as well as your posting celebrating passing the 10,000 edition mark with ebooks here on Mobileread that you just don't get it.

The same laws that protect Mobileread's freedom to publish public domain works also protects Amazon's publisher's rights to control how and where their copyrighted works are published.

Despite what you claim in this thread, Amazon didn't use the DMCA to control where books could be published. Amazon has been doing that by going to the other digital distributors and having them "fix the bug" in their PID processing for Mobipocket editions.

All their DMCA action did here was make it extremely clear that they consider Kindle PID's to be secret encryption keys employed to control distribution of digital media.

I also suspect your attitude would be highly negative if I backed up a virtual dump truck over in the 10,000+ edition free ebook repository and started scooping up piles of content there and hauling them over to Amazon and putting them up for $.99 each.

If you feel a law is too broad in it's powers you work to change the law, you don't break it. Because when you start breaking laws you may discover they protect things you do care about.
Hmm... let's see, no, this has nothing to do with Amazon's publisher's rights to control how and where their books are published.

And, what Amazon is doing is controlling where books read on the Kindle are purchased ... not published ... purchased.

Amazon is telling me, the user, that I may NOT purchase books from other vendors. Amazon is telling me, the user, that I am limited to viewing materials on my Kindle that Amazon sells.

I am certain they would limit my access to public domain materials if they could.

It also concerns me that Amazon retains the right to monitor what materials are on my Kindle. Which include (but not for long) personal and client materials for review.

I fail to see why Alex should be required to take on Amazon in a legal battle over the damage that Amazon is doing to the rights of American citizens. He doesn't live in the States and his business is not located there.

I simply find it incredibly sad that most people, such as yourself, do not understand the distinction between copyright law and the DMCA. They are two different animals altogether, and the latter is a poor attempt to drag the former into the digital age.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote