View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheldaw
Hi folks.

It would seem my little site caused some trouble by going down. I appologize for the inconvenience. A series of unrelated catastrophes caused me to lose just about everything I had created, so it was back to the drawing board.

I have restarted the project under a new title "The Portable Library". I have focussed on a single format (see the FAQ on the site for my reasons) and I am charging (yes, you read correctly) a nominal 99 cents per book to cover the cost of the website (once I exceed the allotted size limit).

It is located here: http://www.geocities.com/portable_library/

I hope some of you can visit. I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Mike
I'm sorry to say that calling them "The portable Harvard Classics" is now very misleading. They aren't portable any longer. I have a Sony Reader and cannot read Mobipocket format. And being DRM protected, I can't even do any sort of conversion. I'm sorry, but I don't like the new setup at all. The fact that you've just killed off a good portion of the market you are trying to sell to does no good at all. A lot of people here have a Sony Reader or some other device to read ebooks that cannot read DRM (or even non-DRM) protected Mobipocket format. I can't recommend these books to anyone at this point. And I would have been interested in the Ben Franklin autobiography. Sorry I cannot read it now. But I'm not limiting myself to books I can only read on the computer. I bought the Sony to be portable and if I can't be portable, then no sale. If you had them in HTML then you could keep the formatting and I could have converted it to work with my Sony and most people could convert to work with whatever reader device they have. But as it is, you've cut out a lot of people who do use the forum here. Sorry to have to be so harsh, but I feel the change is not for the better. And if you look at some of the ebook readers that are coming out in the future, they won't handle Mobipocket either.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-18-2007 at 11:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote