View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
manchuia, i never had any trouble with books as objects before, and i have always loved to read since childhood. BUT since getting my liseuse i have discovered that paper books are really not ergonomical, and now i greatly prefer to read ebooks to paper books whenever possible.

in fact, it has almost spoiled paper books for me. when i first got it, i read only ebooks for a few weeks. then i began to read a paper book i had just received. it was frankly a very uncomfortable experience ! it was an omnibus edition, so very thick and heavy, and it took a lot of effort to keep it open (particularly at the beginning !!). never mind using only one hand to read, that was out of the question. i like to read in bed, and i had a lot of trouble finding a comfortable position ; if i tried to read on my side, one half of the book cast a shadow on the page i was trying to read. and my hand was getting tired propping the pages up. and the text was printed too close to the binding, so i had trouble reading the ends of lines. and when i came to a word i didn't know, i was frustrated, because there is no dictionary look up integrated in a paper book (so convenient !! i love that). arg ! i never noticed all these details before.

so yes, i was already an avid reader before, but having a device definitely changed my reading experience in ways i would not have predicted, and has made it significantly more comfortable and enjoyable. i think if it is the ergonomy of books as objects which ruins your reading experience, then you should definitely try ebooks. on the other hand, if you really don't like reading (i hear some people don't...), then they might not be enough to change your mind.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote