View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
It looks like some fromer backers from the Kickstarter campaign are concerned about the campaigners' waffling on making the firmware opensource as they had initially promised to do.

Quote:
Pierre Gallaz 1 day ago

I had originally planned on buying a 6.8 device as well, and had actually pledged money on your kickstarter campaign. But the lack of open source firmware, and the lack of android upgrade (not even Amazon Kindle installs on this version of android nowadays!), while both of which were part of your original pitch, made me choose to wait instead. I wish things were moving faster on the software side, and I’m wondering if you really have the control of it. Making the firmware open source is easy!

Gustaf Björklund 16 days ago

Michael and Peter, I backed this project based on your promise to make firmware open source. When will you make the firmware open source to the community of users?

Michael Kozlowski Campaigner 14 days ago

We are in the process of upgrading Android and working out the kinks with our custom UI, once this is done we will be able to post the firmware for anyone to download.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...ader#/comments

I can no longer find the promise to make the code open source on their Indiegogo page. However, it is still there buried on their blog.

Quote:
We intend on making the firmware for the 13.3 inch e-reader available to the entire community. This is important because people want creative control in order to make software enhancements or even upgrade to Android M.

Each unit will ship completely unlocked, which means you can install your own apps via ADB and Fastboot. We will also be making the full factory image available, so you can see what we did to make this device work. If you are an Android developer, with extensive experience in OEM software for a commercial product, we would love to hear from you!

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-inch-e-reader
Not sure why they can't make the code public while still trying to upgrade the firmware to a newer version of Android. Unless, of course, as the one backer suggested, they don't really have control of the firmware. I'm guessing that they made the open source comment without really consulting properly with the manufacturer/developer.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote