View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
ccipri
ccipri began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Carta
well, i converted now my djvu files to pdf. They are now about 4 or 5 times bigger in size.
It would have been an easy task to support djvu files. I was writing some time ago a pdf reader (based on mupdf), and adding support for djvu using djvulibre was an easy task.
The software is sadly a little too simple. For example I would have expected to be able to put the read in landscape mode reading a pdf file, then choosing the file to be fitted at the width. And then after finishing the first upper part, just make a vertical swipe and jump to the next vertical part of the page.
The situation now where you have to pan around is more time consuming and impractical.
Also when I choose "fit to height", in most cases, the format of the page, would allow it to cut from the top and bottom borders. This works by zooming and placing the frame. But the problem is you can not "lock" these settings of "zoom and offset", so that you can go to the next page with a simple swipe. At the moment you have to drag to margin, then press on the arrow, and the move the offset of the frame so that you the whole page but without the top and bottom margins.
This would be very useful, and implementing it, would not take longer than let's say 1-3 hours.

For me it's a surprize, that a company invests a lot in a great hardware, but doesn't make the software as good as the hardware would deserve it.

In fact, it's somehow visible that kobo is more oriented for people buying epub books, perhaps this is the reason why kobo has not the best pdf capabilities. They want to sell epub books, and not encourage people reading pdf-books downloaded for free.
But so far, I must say, the display is really good, even if I don't crop the borders, I can still read pdf files (but without the borders, the reading would be more comfortable, since it's indeed a little small).

Let's hope for an improved updated :-)
ccipri is offline   Reply With Quote