View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #707
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeAk View Post
Honour the book cover art. Though Calibre may have the correct (or any!) cover art (custom, etc), Marvin wants to display the art that is embedded in the file, sometimes that means no art. That's plain ugly ;-)
Remember that Marvin's metadata editor now allows you to assign any book cover to the books you have in your Marvin Library.

For example, many Project Gutenberg releases come without a book cover, but it's a matter of seconds to assign a book cover to a book in Marvin if it's missing in the EPUB (or if the default book cover in the EPUB is ugly). What I do is:
  1. launch the Google Images search engine
  2. input the book title
  3. tap and hold a thumbnail of a nice book cover of a paper edition of the book
  4. select "Save Image"
  5. in Marvin's metadata editor, assign that new book cover to the EPUB.
Thanks to this ability to assign random book covers, Marvin's Library looks gorgeous in Version 1.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
There aren't any immediate plans for PDF support. I understand the need to have a unified library but there are many, many really good ones out there and working on something to out-do them would be a massive undertaking.
I agree it's not worth it. GoodReader is a great PDF reader, and like I've just reported in another thread, I've now discovered PDF Expert, which seems to be even more fabulous than GoodReader.

Why should Marvin want to compete with those PDF-focused apps? It's much better for Marvin to focus on its core functionality, EPUB books. It's much better to be outstanding in a single area of expertise (see Marvin) than to be mediocre in several areas (see iBooks, Kindle).

Last edited by Faterson; 02-04-2013 at 08:37 AM.