View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #1152
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMasterrrr View Post
Hey, well thank you for this chance to ask

i'm a programmer, most of my time is on the pc, but i need an ebook reader that is portable so i can work without stressing on my eyes more and more...

i was thinking about Kindle DX because of the large screen (for me larger is better) , what do you think about it for technical PDFs, as i know there is a hack around here for it to transfer into Kindle 3.X frameware

Thanks and you may like to recommend other devices please
I didn't use technical PDFs, but contracts, SLAs and such.
Same problem for all those documents:
There are formulas, graphs and things like that integrated in the text.
So far, I haven't seen a single reader or tablet, that's able to handle such demands adequately via reflow.
Reflow is great for text only and the only way to change font size and such.
But most of the additional info simply gets lost: Formulas are broken down incorrectly, graphs get lost entirely and so on.
So obviously the only way to handle complex PDFs is by zooming.

I prefer, being able to zoom freely.
Meaning: You mark the area of interest, most conveniently with a stylus. This area gets blown up to fullscreen.
Given the speed and responsiveness of the screen, this obviously can be done more efficiently on tablets (iPad, Xoom, Galaxy Tab, ...) than on dedicated readers.
The "Goodreader" app for example is handling any kind of PDFs more or less perfectly.

For tablets, you can't go wrong with any of the big players. Basically it comes down to the question "iOS or Android".

If you want to have a dedicated reader instead, the display size should be as close as possible to the original.
It simply is too painful, trying to read a DIN A4/letter size original on a 6" reader. You only can see about half the page and permanently have to zoom and pan.
I'm using iRex 1000 for this, which is close enough to DIN A4 size.
Would I buy a new one, it probably would be PocketBook 903.
Kindle DX, as much as I love it for my casual reads, isn't a good choice for PDFs. Options for zooming and such are way too limited.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote