View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #1145
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Hi, just popped in to ask if you ever tried the Kyobo eReader (or any of those branded mirasol eReaders)?

You hate... Adobe DRM? I can't understand why you'd blame that on ePub. I don't understand why you'd say there is no real advantage to stripping ePubs of DRM when you just spent a whole paragraph explaining why you find DRM is so annoying.
I should have phrased it differently, you're right.
I hate ADE DRM, I don't mind about ePUB per se.

Quite frankly, for the books I'm reading (biographies, business/finance, history, self help, thrillers, ...) I simply don't see a difference whether it's Mobipocket, ePUB or even the long dead Microsoft .lit format (probably with the exceptions of PDF or TOPAZ formats). I'm fine with all of them (as long as there aren't too many annoying errors in the content).
But I hate the ADE DRM scheme. And I find this only for ePUBs and PDFs.
PDFs I usually wouldn't buy as an eBook format. And yes, there are DRM-free ePUBS. But most ePUBS you buy, unfortunately will have the ADE DRM.
Hence, I try to avoid buying ePUBs.

To me, it's okay to strip my ePUBS (or the other formats) from DRM, to archive them for potential future use. But I simply stopped bothering to convert them. Way too much work. Just consider: I'm a collector. I'm buying way more eBooks, games, movies, TV shows, ... then I actually need or use at that time.
In a "good week", I'm buying 30 or 50 eBooks (plus 10 movies, plus 20 TV episodes, plus 5 games, plus...). I'm pedantic. So converting them would mean, to often fix the author ("Umberto Eco" vs. "Eco, Umberto" vs. "UMBERTO ECO" vs. "some guy" [no kidding, I found such phrases at least 10 times in legally purchased eBooks], ...), think about margins and such. Way too much effort...

I haven't tried the Kyobo reader. For the last 15 months or so I've focused on readers with a directly linked bookstore, preferably accessible on the reader itself without needing a PC (quite handy, when you're stuck in a hotel and don't want to bother about WiFi or your MiFi).
I find Mirasol very interesting. But it's not that important for me. If I want to have color, I'm fine with my tablets.
For my typical books I don't need colors. I'm not reading comics. The only material would be magazines or some newspapers. Those usually aren't that time consuming (maybe 30 to 60 minutes vs. 8 hours or more for a book when not speed reading), so I don't care about weight or battery consumption of tablets for these kind of materials.
I certainly would buy one though, if it's either from a major player or has some standalone features.
But I'd be way more interested in a flexible display...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-01-2012 at 09:58 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote