Thread: Broken
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #57
aleandre
aleandre began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Cybook Opus, iPad
Hello All,

Disregarding the general comments about how electronic devices should be handled, which I agree with BTW, I must say that a device that can get this kind of damage without any obvious wrong-doing on the part of the user isn't, in my view, fulfilling the requirements for mass-market consumption. And that is just what these companies (Sony, Amazon, Irex, Bookeen...) are aiming at.

So yes, I may have damaged it without realising it, if it is indeed the only way for this to happen (I'd like to recall here that there is simply NO crack visible on the glass itself, it's inside the screen that something's wrong). But the comments about the need for more robustness and/or improved warranty conditions seem to me very sound. If I would have realised how fragile the thing could be (and no, just to be clear, I also don't have for an habit to smash my electronics...), I would have certainly gone for the extended warranty. But I imagine it is too late now.

Let's see what kind of bill Sony will decide to send me in the new year ! It left today from the NL, and the Dutch Post said it would take 2 weeks for it to arrive in California, where Sony has its Service Centre (they must fly the thing with pidgeons...) !

Last edited by aleandre; 12-11-2007 at 01:24 PM.
aleandre is offline   Reply With Quote