Thread: Broken
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #54
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't drive Tonka trucks around over my electronics, but something without moving parts shouldn't be as fragile as this (and I'm aware of the mechanics of why it actually is). Ideally, I'd like to be able to throw this thing in a backpack with the cover on and not have to worry about the screen cracking, but as it is it looks I'll probably have to try and get one of those special pouches that others on here have ordered, and even then I'd still be hesitant to take it with my in any situation where it might have any sort of pressure placed on it. There's a difference between having to be careful with a piece of electronic equipment and having to worry every second about it be becoming unusable because of any slight mishap. Even that wouldn't be so bad if breaking the screen didn't basically mean having to buy a replacement at full price. I know that's partially due to the high price of the screen itself, but Sony also deserves some of the blame for not offering a better warranty. Do they offer any sort of replacement plan at all that will fix/replace a unit with a broken screen at a reasonable cost?
Sony does offer an "all hazards" extended warranty that's good for three years or one replacement, whichever comes first.

As for pouches, I use a DVD security case purchased from brodart.com for well under $10. It's a polycarbonate case that provides hard-sided protection for the reader in its case. The idea is not original with me -- I got the idea from another post here on MobileRead. It's easy and cheap: I made cases for my wife's reader and my reader for under $20 (plus about 10 minutes work).

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote