View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I feel the same way about Project Loon (balloon based wi-fi). Very Popular Mechanics. I'm even questioning self driving cars, though there are enough people taking it seriously I give it a little more credence.

Maybe I'm a pessimist. I'd love to be wrong. But I think mostly these are a form of PR, building excitement for a brand.
Brand building is part of it, yes.
Part of it is also due diligence: figuring out ways competitors (present or future) could outflank you and undercut your business. Then, you patent the methodology involved (even if you don't intend to use it) just in case. Well-run tech companies are always on defense, looking for ways a brash startup could cut into their business so they can "head them off at the pass" or buy them out while they're small and affordable.

As for Project Loon the core idea is good but the planned usage (free flying baloons) is off. A more effective approach is to just anchor the balloons to serve as cheap, quickly-deployed WiMax towers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote