View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
This guy wants to make Calibre assist in illegal distribution of ebooks

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice...ding_software/

Just in case he deletes:

Quote:
Recently, I wrote a piece of software, one part of which downloads ebooks from publicly accessible websites upon the user's request. More specifically, Calibre, a piece of software used for managing a personal ebook collection, has an option which, when enabled, hosts your books online for reading. Usually these servers are not password protected. So, using Shodan, my software finds these online libraries, catalogues the books they hold, and stores the metadata so that the user can later search for and download books. Until asked, my software doesn't actually download any books it finds, only the information required to find them again later. Obviously, not every book in people's personal libraries will be in the public domain, in fact many of them remain under copyright. I think it should be the user's responsibility (as is the case with guns, and torrent clients) to use my product in accordance with the law, but I fear I may be wrong.

I want to post this software on my GitHub, as it is a recent programming project, which I think would look good on my resume. Looking at licenses, I noticed that many of them contain a disclaimer such this one in the Unlicense: THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE. Under GPLv3 or the Unlicense, can I be held responsible for copyright violations perpetrated using my software?
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote