View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
To me this is nothing but a blip on the screen. Palm has dillydallied for years while Nokia/Apple/Microsoft have been producing. So the question is, who needs this and doesn't already have a working smartphone?

As has been the case with Palm of late, the Pre makes little sense: it is really a smartphone mainly, while smartphones are a far less significant part of the market than music/video players; the network chosen is Sprint which is regularly ranked the worst among the major cell companies, suggesting that the two came together because they both need help, like two people leaning on each other because they can each afford only one crutch; it is not a world phone (no GSM); it won't run current 3rd-party apps unless some developer (other than Palm) comes up with an emulator.

Of course, it has improvements over existing smartphones, as it is coming on the scene later and can build on others' experience, but those improvements seem incremental rather than earth-shaking.

The increase in stock price is more a matter of the market seeking any sign of hope than it is of faith in Palm. I had used Palms for years and got tired of waiting for something new: I am not returning.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote