View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
They might not have been.

And declining production standards is endemic to the industry. I'm on a mailing list largely composed of people in publishing. There was a discussion on the list a while back between someone who worked for an editorial and production house that provided copy editing, proofreading, and typesetting services to publishers, and someone else who was an editor at a major publisher. The one working for the production house was unhappy about the decline in standards, and the increasing number of publishers who apparently couldn't be bothered to do things like copyedit and proofread before publishing books. The editor at the major publisher said "But those things are part of the production budget for the book, and are always done!" The response was "Maybe that's still true at your house, but it's increasingly less true elsewhere. I'm the one who gets to talk to folks who used to pay us to do this for them..."
______
Dennis
I used to work as a copy-editor for a major international publisher of scientific journals. They moved a lot of their copy-editing to India, on the grounds that Indian graduates were cheaper to employ than European graduates. This was their response to one of their competitors who had decided that it was the scientists' own responsibility to make sure their English was good; if their paper was incomprehensible due to poor English, that was their own fault.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote