View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
1. Downloaded the set of pages with WinHTTrack.
This is absolutely the RIGHT tool for building ebooks from webpages; much easier when the webpages stay on the same domain and go "downwards" from there. Did you realize there was a "cover.html" that would have been the best place to start the spidering instead of the "contents.html"? I spidered it last night and it took all of 6 minutes. The ensuing ebook conversion to .imp took several hours more (see below).

Quote:
2. Started a new ebook project in Mobipocket Creator, and carefully added the files a few at a time to make sure they were in the correct order.
I replicated the .html files ordering in TOC within the "contents.html" and used that as my starting point for the .opf.

Quote:
3. Failed to build the ebook several times so I could identify and delete the bad files created in the download step. (Don't worry, they were created by the download program and weren't source content.)
This is the ONLY way, through several unsuccessful trials, to get things right. This takes MOST of the time to convert webpages to ebooks!

Quote:
4. Built the Mobipocket ebook. Saved the ebook project.
5.Used html2epub.exe with the ebook project files to make the Epub version.
After getting the .prc version , I used Mobi2IMP to convert it to .imp formats, but the eBook Publisher is a lot more picky and sensitive to badly coded html, so I had to "fix" a lot more problems, i.e.
  • ill-formed/corrupt images,
  • <h1> tags in the <head> section and BEFORE the <body> tag,
  • non-existent links due to typos,
  • non-existent images for previous, next and index links,
  • missing image retrieved from an old website copy using WayBackMachine at archive.org
  • many minor fixes to make the resulting .html look more presentable...

Quote:
Total time invested: about an hour
Total time invested: almost 3 hours

Uploading the .imp formats, which differ slightly from your (.prc) version. Check here.

I can upload my .prc/.epub versions if you would like as well?

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-07-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added link to .imp versions
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote